For those of us who prefer to cook and eat plant-based foods but miss Punjabi foods, this is the recipe you'll want to bookmark, save, share, and make over and over again!
Most of us fondly remember all the tastes and flavours we grew up with, and this recipe will let you continue making great memories to enjoy throughout the rest of your life!
Because there's really nothing better than crispy fried spiced onion pakora drenched in vegan curd. It's time to make yourself a fresh batch of vegan Punjabi kadhi.
For Making Kadhi-
- One Good curd, 1.5 cups
- Water, 3 cups
- Besan flour, 40 grams
- Salt, to taste
- Turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon
- Red chili powder, ½ teaspoon
- Mustard seeds, 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves, 8-10 leaves
- Ginger garlic paste, 1 tablespoon
- Mustard oil, 2 tablespoons
For Making Pakoras-
- Onions, thinly sliced, 1 cup
- Besan flour, 1 cup
- Red chilli powder, ½ teaspoon
- Garam masala powder, ½ teaspoon
- Ajwain seeds, ½ teaspoon
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, for deep frying
For the Kadhi-
- In a mixing bowl, take One Good curd. Add besan flour, salt, turmeric, and red chili powder. Mix well and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed kadai, heat oil. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves
- Add ginger garlic paste once the mustard seeds start to crackle. Cook for about a minute. Add red chili powder, turmeric, and salt. Cook for another minute.
- Add the curd mixture and keep stirring continuously to prevent it from sticking to the bottom. Bring it to a boil
- Once it boils, reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally.
For the Pakoras
- To make the pakoras, slice the onions
- In a mixing bowl, add sliced onions, ajwain seeds, turmeric, red chili powder, salt, and besan flour. Mix well
- In a pot, heat oil for frying
- Form bite-sized dumplings from the pakora mixture and drop into the oil one by one
- Fry until golden brown and crispy
- Take the pakoras out the oil and let it cool
- After 30 minutes adjust the seasoning in your kadhi. Drop in the pakoras
- Add the kadhi to a serving bowl, serve with steamed rice and enjoy!