Craving pizza? Here's a scrumptious vegan version you'll want to bookmark!
Learn how to make dough AND pizza sauce from scratch with our easy-to-follow recipe. Then, reward yourself with a slice of heaven that's delicious and dairy-free!
How to make vegan pizza dough
- 2 cups maida or all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water with the sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until frothy. Tip: Do not use hot water, it will kill the yeast and your dough might not rise.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour with the salt. Add the yeast mixture and olive oil to the bowl.
- Mix the ingredients together until a dough forms. Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5-7 minutes until it's smooth and elastic, but not sticky.
- Place the dough back in the mixing bowl, cover it with a clean cloth or lid, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down to release any air bubbles. Roll it out on a floured surface to your desired pizza crust thickness.
How to make fresh tomato pizza sauce:
- 4-5 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp sugar (optional, to balance acidity)
- Blanch the large tomatoes: Score a small "X" on the bottom of each tomato. Immerse them in boiling water for about 30 seconds, then transfer to ice water. Peel off the skins and roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Blend the chopped large tomatoes and cherry tomatoes until smooth.
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add minced garlic and sauté for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add finely chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Pour in the homemade tomato puree, then add dried oregano, dried basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir well. Tip: If your sauce is too tangy, a pinch of baking soda can neutralise the acidity of the tomatoes. Some sugar also helps to balance it all out.
- Let it simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and flavours meld.
Assembling the vegan pizza:
- Prepared pizza dough
- Prepared fresh tomato pizza sauce
- Shredded vegan cheese
- Toppings of your choice (e.g., sliced bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, olives)
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Place the rolled-out pizza dough on a pizza stone or baking sheet.
- Spread a generous amount of the prepared fresh tomato pizza sauce over the dough, leaving a border around the edges.
- Sprinkle a layer of your shredded vegan cheese over the sauce.
- Add your chosen pizza toppings.
- Bake the pizza in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Once the pizza is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool slightly before slicing and serving.